Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mission Statement

Welcome to the Couch Potato Prepper! I started this site to help other beginners in preparedness sort through the sea of information here on the Internet and to offer some firsthand experiences, which one might call "adventures in prepping.".

Why the name?

Why call this blog Couch Potato Prepper?  Put simply, I am a couch potato.   I am overweight, out of shape and generally in less than ideal health.  I had always had an interest in camping and staying prepared for emergencies in a very general sense.  I have worked for six years for a company that requires me to travel a great deal and sometimes that travel includes driving in inclement weather.  The chances of getting stuck in a snow drift in January somewhere in my area of operation is probably better than 50 percent, though it hasn't happened yet.  Cell tower coverage is spotty and houses are few and far between on some routes as well.  So, I keep some supplies in the car -- bottled water, warm clothes, emergency blankets, food, etc., just in case.

My first rumblings of awareness that I needed to be ready for something bigger and badder came in 2008 when the housing market crashed.  I was unhappy with the government "solution" called TARP and realized there were bigger problems with our economy and our government that just a bust housing market.   Put simply, I was learning some financial lessons of my own at the time and knew that if I couldn't spend money like a drunken sailor, neither good our government.  Economics just don't work that way.

Since then I have been considering what and how to prepare for possible crises and now, after almost three years of reading and talking about it, I am ready to make a concerted effort to make something happen so that my family and I can be insulated from the worst.

Why the blog?

There is a one word answer: accountability.  I am an avid reader and I can study an issue or problem to death without actually doing something about it.   By putting my thoughts out here for you to see, you become my accountability partners.   Thanks for lending a hand.

My blog posts will not usually be this short, but I needed to get something out here to force myself to commit.   If you are a procrastinator like me, you know what I am talking about.  You never want to start anything for fear of finishing it. 

That changes today for me.  I hope you'll come along for the journey.

1 comment: