Where do you start with preparedness? For me, the first place I started was by doing a threat analysis. Generally speaking here are the four types of crises or emergencies:
- Home burns down
- Lose a job or a source of income
- Car breaks down
- Major illness
- Divorce or death of an immediate family member
- Home invasion/mugging
- Utility outage (power, gas, water, etc.)
- Localized civil disturbance
- Hurricane or other large weather disturbance
- Regional outbreak of illness
- Riots/Civil unrest over a large area
- Wider, large spread utility outage last more than a couple of days
- Suspension of travel due to disaster/government restrictions following an event (see my post here about the movie Contagion).
- Drought/crop failure
- Worldwide pandemic
- Disruption of the delivery of petroleum and other energy sources.
- Large scale weather event.
- Worldwide drought/crop failure
- Terrorist attack with weapons of mass destruction, including the use of an electromagnetic pulse to destroy the electric grid.
- Total societal breakdown